Although it is often one of the last components considered, selecting the correct switch is important when designing electronic equipment. Designers must be aware of the various options available in order to choose the most appropriate switch for any given application.
The procedure of selecting the correct switch can be summarized this way:
- The requirements of the end user should be given consideration first
- The engineering aspects like load, contact materials, terminal type, voltage, circuit type, mounting etc should be studied
- Next the type of actuator should be decided
- Standards like RoHS and similar government regulations must be complied with as well
- Lastly, the switch chosen should be able to stand up to the rigors of the application. Environmental factors must be considered
When choosing a switch, you can ensure that the most appropriate switch is selected for the job if you take these factors into consideration.